- Try to provide as much shade as possible
- Have floating plants around the edge of the pond
- Do not add nutrients to the water
- Make sure that if you have fish in the pond that you feed that all of it is eaten because this could be food for the algae
- Install a filter and a UV sterilizer. If you already have these features examine them to make sure that they are working properly.
Although you want to have sunlight reach through the depths of water in your pond and to aid in the operation of a solar pump, the sun can also be detrimental to the health of any pond. Algae growth thrives in sunlight and is one of the problems that homeowners grapple with trying to solve on a permanent basis. While it is impossible to limit the amount of sunlight that reaches the pond there are things that you can do, such as: